This is a semi-dry preparation which is a mixture of all sorts of vegetables. It is one of the many dishes prepared for the festival of Onam.
Ingredients: (Serves 10)
- Yam sliced thinly into 1-1/2″ length pieces – 1cup
- Cucumber sliced lengthy into 1-1/2″ thick pieces – 1cup
- Snake gourd sliced into 1-1/2″ length pieces – 1cup
- Carrot sliced into into 1-1/2″ length pieces – 1/4cup
- Long runner-beans sliced into 1-1/2″ length pieces – 1/2cup
- Drumstick cut into 2″ length pieces – 2 nos
- Raw bananas sliced into 1-1/2″ length pieces – 1 no
- Mango pieces for sour
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut 1/2 quantity
- Green chillies – 5nos
- Cumin seeds – 1/2tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – 3tbsp
- Coarsely grind the coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds. Keep it aside.
- Clean the vegetables.
- Heat 2tbsp coconut oil in a thick bottom vessel.
- Add the vegetables and cook in a low flame. Do not add water. When it is done, add turmeric powder, salt and mix it well.
- Remove the vegetables from the middle and put sliced bananas and mango pieces and cover it with the other vegetables.
- When steam comes out, add the coconut paste and stir well.
- Remove from fire.
- Mix the remaining coconut oil and curry leaves in the avial. Yummy Avial is ready to serve.
Who doesn’t want to know him…the provider of best recipes to us at TheInteriorDirectory.Com. Every time we receive some post from him, the heart fumbles & tumbles and you get onto a gastronomic journey with him…so it’s best to be in touch with him…