- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken breast cut in large chunks
- 50 g butter
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh green ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 (400 g) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat a wok until really hot, add 1 Tbsp oil.
- Add half the chicken and stir-fry for about 4 minutes or until chicken is a nice color.
- Remove to plate.
- Add extra oil and cook remaining chicken.
- Remove from wok.
- Reduce heat and add the butter.
- When melted add all of the spices and stir-fry until fragrant- about 1 minute.
- Return chicken to wok and stir to coat with the spices.
- Add the tomato and sugar and simmer for 15 minutes- stir occasionally.
- Add the yogurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Serve over rice.
**This dish can be frozen. After adding tomato and sugar, cool completely then store in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. To reheat, thaw bag in fridge overnight then add contents to saucepan. Reheat gently, simmer for 8 – 10 minutes – add the yoghurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 more minutes. The sauce would thicken by then. You can serve the dish with hot tandoori rotis too. The Interior Directory